May 29 (1987, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2007)
And So, To Resume...

5/29/87  A cloudy morning. Yesterday I spent the morning making calls re the appeal, to Eric Peach, Eric Beckwit, and Frank Waldo, the deputy forest supervisor. A meeting on the ground has been planned, but no date set yet. I was sitting behind Bill's place when Carla strolled up, on her way to Dutch Flat; she sat down and we talked for a while. She showed me a nearby cherry tree in full fruit, and we munched out for a while.…

Later; today, I received the new TNF Five Years Sell Plan map along with some printed material detailing out prescription and bid dates for each sale; from the latter, in fact, I learned that the Corral Springs sale was completed on 12/12/86 and that the buyer was Bohemia [Lumber Company]. I despair of stopping the Corral Springs...”

[Russell Towle's journal]


May 29, 1996

Having almost entirely neglected my Journal over these past seven years, it seems unlikely that I will successfully resume regular entries, yet I wish I would. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since I left off. I have had two children whom I love very much, Janet, now six, and Greg, almost 5. […]

Occupying me in recent years has been research on the history of Dutch Flat, and publication of several books. Currently I am working on publishing the diary of Isaac Tibbets Coffin, a Dutch Flat gold miner/photographer. The diary begins in 1863, runs to 1864, stops, then commences again in 1870 and continues to his death in 1903. I will incorporate many of his photos in the diary. I have been working on it in fits and starts for several years now. My other book still “in print” is The Dutch Flat Chronicles, a compendium of about 1000 newspaper articles and other materials gathered from many sources, especially the old Dutch Flat newspapers.

Most recently, I have been doing a lot of landscape renderings using the ray tracing software, POV-Ray, and the U.S.G.S. DEM data sets, for 1-degree and 7.5 minute quadrangles. [...]”

[Russell Towle's journal]


Waterspray Rainbow
May 29, 2001

Morning-After-Storm Panorama
May 29, 2002


Slithery Drama
May 29, 2003

May 29, 2007




No comments:

Post a Comment