April 29 (1981, 1983, 1986, 1987, 2001)
Violent Winds ~ Unvarnished History

4/29/81 Sunny hot weather ~ dogwoods coming into bloom, oak leaves filling out, bracken fern and violets.”

[Russell Towle's journal]


4/29/83 … A thunderstorm just rolled in, after a few blessed hours of partly cloudy skies, that allowed a few blessed rays of life-giving sun to reach the ground at last. Storm after slow, wet, soggy storm has swept over the north state forever, it seems.

Violent winds accompanied the storm today. I stood and held the glass of Big Window to keep it from breaking, pushed out against the wind. Yesterday as I told [name] I was leaving her, thunder crashed, again, again, 'til finally I left and it stopped.”

[Russell Towle's journal]


April 29, 1986 Cool morning, but sunny. […]

Eric Peach and I ended up making the trip [to Giant Gap Ridge, sometimes referred to as the Pinnacle Ridge—the ridge abutting into the North Fork canyon from the south, opposite Lovers Leap]. … My main objective was to photograph the most horrendous clear-cut visible from Lovers Leap. […] We didn't have time to go all the way to Sugarloaf, where the bad one is. But it was a nice trip anyway, and we saw many clear-cuts. On Saturday my hike to Smart's Crossing drew only two people, the Eatmon's, and we saw a wildflower neither Sam nor I could identify; on Sunday the Lover's Leap hike drew about 15 people, and went really well. I'm about to plunge into the conclusion of my book on Polar Zonohedra, unless Alex or my brother should appear and want to hike down to the river via Canyon Creek waterfalls and find giant gold nuggets.”

[Russell Towle's journal]


4/28/87 […]

Later: thunder rumbles, I cut glass and listen to baseball, a perfect Spring day, perfect, perfect despite my underwater sleepy hazy moodiness. Perfect!”

[Russell Towle's journal]


April 29, 2001


Purple Nightshade
(Solanum xanti)

"Solanum"
An abstracted depiction of Nightshade blossoms that Russell created from an original photo.

The Kellogg's Black Oaks are usually leafing out by now, as this photo from 2001 shows. Ten years later, on April 29, 2011, the branches were still entirely bare at 4000' on Moody Ridge.

April 29, 2001
Monkeys of the Black Oak forest (Janet and Greg Towle)




No comments:

Post a Comment