March 14 (1976, 1978, 2001, 2006)
More Early Bloomers. CCT Distances

3/14/76 beautiful spring day, commencing cloudy with altocumulus, a few sprinkles, and now (11:00 AM) mostly clear.  a viola sheltonii is in bloom next to my cabin, also the first buck-brush I have seen in bloom so far. manzanita continues blooming with many of the bushes already through, and many yet in full bloom”

[Russell Towle's journal]


3/14/78 early morning. clear sky, for a change. cold in here but soon the sun will clear the live oaks to the east and it will warm up…

~ oh. sun shines on me now, warm. i was just sitting down to my second mug of coffee when i heard barking sounds. i went over to the cliffs and listened, and sure enough, from somewhere deep within the canyon a dog or coyote was barking ~ is barking still. but the peace of this morning! river roars, jays scold, an eagle sat on top of a nearby ponderosa, band-tailed pigeon made clear short whistles precisely spaced like electronic beeper…  this place is so very beautiful, and i am happy to live here”

[Russell Towle's journal]


Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:07:20 -0800
To: North_Fork_Trails
From: Russell Towle
Subject: Canyon Creek Trail

Larkspur, Gorge Point, early March
(Delphinium patens?)

Hi all,

I went in this morning to do a little work on the [Canyon Creek] trail. The small Shooting Stars on the upper trail are in bloom now, also, many Larkspurs down at Gorge Point.

I paced off some distances as I went in from parking at Potato Ravine Pass, using the temporary road-and-trail (the uppermost part of the original trail is still impassable). Here is what I got. I deduce from these distances that the distance to the river itself must be about two miles even.
930 feet to Pine Hollow (gap leads up to diggings, overgrown).
1035 feet to trail/road junction.
1260 feet to Indiana Hill Ditch.
1350 feet to ditch/trail junction.
1500 feet to big Canyon Live Oak.
2250 feet to Old Wagon Road.
2700 feet to Tunnel Trail.
4080 feet to bridge.
4710 feet to junction with North Fork Overlook/Bogus Point Trail.
5115 feet to cliff-of-the-iron-spike.
5190 feet to where I did trail work, 3/14/01.
5400 feet to little switchback.
5700 feet to cliff-with-hole-in-trail.
5760 feet to Gorge Point.
5910 feet to rock slide.
Cheers,

Russell Towle


Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:48:34 -0800
To: Karen Callahan
From: Russell Towle
Subject: Re: early wildflower

>Hi Russell, I've received your great photos. Do you
>use a digital camera? Looks like Henderson's Shooting
>Star. I would like to see at least part of the Canyon
>Creek Trail this weekend. My problem is working out
>which day will be available for me. I will let you
>know & then you can tell me when you're able to go.
>Karen Callahan

I use a Nikon 990 and then reduce resolution in PhotoShop for email.

This weekend ought to be fine. Let me know. Bring anyone you like. Caution: poison oak. Mostly well-cleared from the trail, but, well, it's around.


March 14, 2006
Towle Cabins, Moody Ridge:

Janet Towle, Gay Wiseman, home on a snow day from school and work.
"Little Cabin" in the background, seen from the porch of "Big Cabin"


No comments:

Post a Comment